Associate Professor/Head of Discipline Job at UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Allied Health School
Social work and social policy
- Level D, continuous full-time appointment
- Wage scale: $150,514 – $165,919 plus superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of Australia’s prestigious group of eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research experience, a dynamic campus and working environments, backed by the freedom to “innovate and inspire”, there’s no better time to join the best university in Western Australia.
About the team
The School of Allied Health provides education and undertakes research in the areas of Allied Health and Social Work and Social Policy (SWSP). The SWSP discipline exists within Allied Health along with Pharmacy, Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, Optometry, and Health Professions Education. All are engaged in teaching, with particular emphasis on postgraduate programs leading to a professional qualification.
The flagship degree in the discipline of social work and social policy is the Master of Social Work (qualifying) programme. This 2-year postgraduate degree develops social workers who support individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities facing complex and diverse challenges and issues.
About the Opportunity
You will be accountable to the school principal for providing team leadership and fostering excellence in teaching, research, and community engagement in social work and social policy. You will be motivated to teach, develop a strong research portfolio in the field, and contribute to the academic environment of the school and UWA in general. In addition, you will perform the role of Disciplinary Officer for an initial period of 2 years. As Discipline Leader, you will provide leadership for the discipline’s operational and strategic plans. This will require established experience in social work education, research and administration
Reporting to the Head of the School of Allied Health, you will play an important role within the discipline leadership team by promoting coordinated strategic academic development. You will be expected to work in accordance with University policies, procedures and values, promoting academic excellence through integrity, inclusiveness, professionalism and community engagement.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Registered or eligible for registration with the Australian Association of Social Workers as a social worker
- A doctorate or equivalent higher degree
- Extensive knowledge and experience teaching social work in academia
- Proven ability to successfully supervise research students
- Proven ability to lead university teaching programs using contemporary teaching methods
- Proven track record in researching and publishing social work articles, policies and protocols
- Excellence in leadership and supervision of research in academia
- Leadership excellence in management and organizational skills.
- Evidence of a high level of interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate well with staff and students at all levels
Full details of position responsibilities and selection criteria are outlined in the job description. Please review the job description before applying.
You must meet the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For more information to help you compile statements to meet the selection criteria, please see Meeting the Selection Criteria
Closing Date: 11:55 p.m. on Thursday, April 14, 2022
This position is only open to candidates with the right to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child-friendly areas on campus, including daycares. Flexible work arrangements, part-time schedules and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded bronze employer status for being one of the top ten employers for LGBTI inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2021).
- UWA also received Athena Swan Bronze accreditation in 2020.